Saturday 18 January 2014

Hop, Skip and a Jump Across the Big Pond!

Being new to blogging, I have taken a lot of time finding more experienced bloggers to follow. I have been completely blown away by the insight and inspiration that is found in this world of blogging. I had absolutely no idea how much reading the stories of other people could influence the way I live my life. One of my favorite inspirational bloggers is Jessica Lawlor! She has created her blog around her personal drive to #GetGutsy and though I missed her essay contest with this very theme, I felt encouraged to share my own gutsy story. So without further ado: 

It was May 7th, 2013. I had been counting down to this very day since at least December (but probably before). I had just finished up my last semester of college, packed up my apartment, moved my junk to my parents, only to repack half of it back up in preparation for my new adventure. Stressed? Absolutely. Anxious? Like you wouldn't believe. May 7th was the day I left my family behind, my friends, my comfort zone. It is the day I moved to New Zealand. Looking back at this now, if I am being honest with myself, it didn't feel as monumental as it actually was. Since I had already booked my return visit home for my brother's wedding, I kept telling everyone, "See you in 10 weeks." I knew I would be returning to New Zealand after that visit home for the wedding, however my mind could not see that far into the future. I did not yet understand the impact that moving across the world would have on me. In those first 10 weeks away I completed my internship abroad in New Zealand submitting online assignments to finish my bachelor's degree. I was busy and didn't really think about missing home. Upon my return after the wedding, I immediately jumped into work. It filled my time and provided some necessary spending money, but I am now happier than ever to say I am in a full time permanent position at the place I did my internship, which I am loving and I just know that it is going to teach me so much more about the culture of the people I am working with! I often overlook the courage it took for me, and the nights before leaving in which I spent agonizing my decision to make the move, but making that leap of faith and joining the love of my life here in New Zealand to start my career has never felt more right. For the record, yes, I absolutely miss my family and friends back home every single day, but I am proud to say that despite my moments of missing home (and certain foods!), I am proud of myself for pushing my comfort zone and expanding my horizons to explore what this world has to offer and am happy to call this beautiful country my new home. I would encourage anyone considering moving to a new country to absolutely do it! It has been such an eye opening experience. Although I was lucky enough to have a support system in place on the other side of the plane ride, I think traveling and especially living overseas from your home country forces you to be independent and brings out personal strengths that you probably never knew you possessed. Go see the world! #GetGutsy


1 comment:

  1. Incredible story, Chelsea! Moving across the world sounds absolutely terrifying (but exhilarating!) to me. I'm so glad you decided to share your gutsy story and I can't wait to continue reading your blog. xox

    ReplyDelete