Friday 31 January 2014

Dare to Dream

"A dream is a wish the heart makes" -Disney





I was asked by a coworker the other day what my dreams in life were. It was just a conversation starter, you know a typical get-to-know-you type question, but for some reason it had me a tad bit stumped. It put me on the spot and I had a hard time thinking of anything really worthwhile. I didn't want to seem dull or like someone who is afraid to dream and take risks. The first thing that popped in my head was the obvious...having a family and owning a house. Like many girls growing up (a bit stereotypical, I know), I had always dreamed of getting married and having kids and the house with the white picket fence and living happily ever after. Ok, maybe not that fantasy-like, but something along those lines. I know I would not be happy being a house wife for the rest of my life, but working part time while my futuristic children grow up may not be the worst thing in the world and I know it will bring me much joy.

But beyond this basic desire for my life some of the other things I dream for myself just seem like a cloud up in my head somewhere. I know I want to travel the world and see all I can see, I would like to do a community service trip in a third world country (most likely in South America somewhere), and I want to continue to keep health and fitness a priority in my life. Other than these...I just don't know. I know it is important to have goals and to work toward your lifelong dreams but I also don't like the idea of creating specific lists for myself that may or may not be achieved in my lifetime. 

So now I find myself wondering, is my lack of dreaming and goal-making an inhibition to my future success or is it my open highway to create the future as it appears before me? 

All I know for sure is this: I am happy in life at the moment and am enjoying taking it one day at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment